The special senatorial campaign has kicked off in Nimba County despite poor expectation from the community.The first day of the campaign in Nimba County is not impressive as compared to the 2011 general election which was overwhelming beyond everybody’s expectation.Among the six candidates contesting the senatorial seat, two in Cllr Yarmin Quiqui Gbeisay and former Nimba Supt. Edith Gongloe Weh were actively seen on fliers posted in public places around Ganta.The momentum around Nimba is not high as compared to the 2011 general election, where the citizens were overwhelmingly involved. Only a few persons were seemed on the streets of Ganta posting fliers for both Cllr Gbeisay and Edith Wehyee.The remaining candidates, including Senator Prince Y. Johnson, former Education Minister Joseph Kortoe, former AFL General John Teah and Mr. Peter Weator are yet to be seen in the public.But according to supporters of Prince Johnson, they will be launching on the 27th of November, where three cows are expected to be killed. The camp of Mr. Peter Weatoe said they will be launching on 23rd November in the Nimba border town of Karnplay, but nothing is being heard from Dr. Joseph Kortoe as of yet.An Early opinion poll conducted on the 12th of November by the local radio station in Ganta gave Senator Prince Y. Johnson an edge with 20 points, followed by Cllr Yarmie Quiqui Gbeinsay with 12 points in senatorial bid for Nimba.However, a group under the banner “Concerned Nimbaians” is calling on all Nimbaians to turn out en masse to cast their vote for the best interest of the county, but expressed its neutrality in the ongoing campaigning process as a group.“An individual of the group has the right to campaign for anybody of their choice, but as a group we remain neutral,” said Sam Ta Kruah, a spokesperson.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A teenager was released on $100,000 bail after being slapped with two counts of robberies under arms charges earlier this week.Eighteen- year old Tishan Welcom, of Hadfield Street, Wortmanville, denied that on October 17, 2018 at Cornhill Street, Georgetown, while being in the company of others and armed with a knife; he robbed Bisnauth Narine of a Samsung cellphone valued $90,000 and also $20,000.Another charge stated that on the same day at the same location, while being in the company of others, he robbed Kiren Persaud of one Samsung S8 phone valued at $190,000 and $90,000. However, the teen denied both charges.Police Prosecutor Rorrel Thornhill objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the offence and the fact that personal violence was used on both victims.However, the prosecution is contention that on October 17 about 18:20h, Bisnauth Narine and his cousin, Kiren Persaud, were in the vicinity of Cornhill Street, Georgetown when the teen and his accomplices pounced on them with a knife and demanded that they handed over their valuables.Following the robbery, a report was made at the Brickdam Police Station and an investigation was carried. The defendant was later arrest with the knife in his waist and according to Police, he was positively identified by the victims.Magistrate Fabayo Azore released the teen on $50,000 bail for each charge. The case will continue on November 28.
5 Kyle Walker – The injury-stricken defender may look to get his career back on track. – Walker is determined to rescue his Tottenham career but may move on if he is not guaranteed first team football. The Lilywhites have both Eric Dier, DeAndre Yedlin and new signing Kieran Trippier in the right-back position so competition will be tough. The biggest challenge for Walker is staying fit, having been plagued with injuries throughout his career. Spurs must decide if he is worth persisting with. Roberto Soldado – The Spaniard cuts a marginalised figure. Click right to see another striker destined for a summer exit – Having arrived for a then club record fee of £26million, expectations of the Spanish striker were high. Yet the former Valencia man netted just six times in his debut season at White Hart Lane and soon found himself warming the bench after the emergence of Harry Kane. It appears Mauricio Pochettino doesnt rate the 26 year-old and Sevilla have made an enquiry to take him back to La Liga. The transfer window is firmly wedged open, which means clubs are busy carrying out their business as they prepare for the coming Premier League season.While supporters invariably focus on players on their way into their club, others may have to be relinquished to balance the books.Some players have fallen out of favour, while others may just need a change of scenery to help rejuvenate their careers.Tottenham’s transfer activity has come under serious scrutiny in recent seasons, having spurnt the majority of the world record fee they received for Gareth Bale in 2013.They have been quick to move on some of those disappointing signings, such as Paulinho and Etienne Capoue, but there is still plenty of deadwood left in the squad.Who do you think Spurs need to get rid of?Here is our shortlist. Click the yellow arrow above, right, for the full lowdown on the potential departures from White Hart Lane. Emmanual Adebayor – The Togo striker has fallen out of favour. Continue to see which England winger has struggled for game time in recent seasons – The target man has had a solid career in the Premier League but doesnt look to have a future at Tottenham. Considered surplus to requirements at the club, Pochettino needs to move him on before he can sign a new striker. With Christian Benteke heading to Liverpool, Aston Villa may be in the market to take Adebayor off Pochettinos hands, especially as the striker enjoyed a renaissance during Tim Sherwoods tenure at Spurs. Vlad Chiriches – Has failed to adapt to the Premier league. Continue to see which defender may find himself down the pecking order this season – Romanian defender Chiriches was one of the seven signings brought in using the Bale money and has to be considered a disappointment after initially impressing. The Romanian has admitted he is unhappy at White Hart Lane and may soon be heading for the exit door. Spurs rejected a loan offer from Roma in January as they would rather move him on permanently. 5 5 5 Aaron Lennon – On his way out? Click right to see which defender has struggled to make an impact – The long-serving winger was allowed to join Everton on loan last season after being told he doesnt feature in Pochettinos plans. Still only 28, Lennon might be offered as a makeweight in a potential deal to bring James McCarthy to White Hart Lane having impressed for the Toffees last season. 5